7.20.2017

So, which VSL reader had "July" as the anticipated tipping point month for a GH5 acquisition?

Was it the same wag who called the fz2500 a "gateway drug?" I was working on video files today and marveling at how great the files looked from the fz2500 camera. Then I grabbed some of the handheld video files I'd taken with the G85 and marveled at them. The next thing I knew I was driving up Mopac Expressway toward Precision Camera and Video with the intention of grabbing for the new gold ring of consumer video cameras; the GH5. It just came over me like sun stroke. But with far fewer ill effects.

As of 3:30 pm, CST, I am in possession of a GH5 and two extra Lumix batteries. I'm setting up the menus this evening and the daily reporting about the camera will most likely begin tomorrow. I have to shoot some stuff first.

Here's how the reporting will go: Part one = The big rationale.  Part two: All the stuff I like about the camera and the files I get from it.  Part three: The stuff that bugs me.

Since the temperature hit 104(f) at the house today and the "feels like" temperature was closer to 108(f) I wonder if the purchase was a subliminal response. You know, buying a camera that isn't prone to shut down from overheating.....

So far it's almost exactly like the GH4s I used to own only with a much more complex menu and a much more robust video feature set. More tomorrow....

17 comments:

kenneth voigt, san antonio said...

poor guy; needs intervention

David said...

I think I was the one whom said the fz2500 would be the gateway drug to the GH5. However, I thought September would be the trigger date in my mind. After, nothing really exciting came out of the big photo show.
My last post thought, for sure the file quality would be less then the fz2500. As you have litterly spend months, tweaking your technique and the menu to get the best out of that camera, and the Gh5 may require some time to get the best. Now I really look forward to your write up.
Since I am also considering a GH5, its like 2008 all over for me when I first started following you, as you had the Olympus E3, that I picked up in March of that year. It was great to get a real pro view point on that camera.

Gato said...

I'm trying to act surprised, but it's not working.

You have me almost convinced to buy an fz22500 but I think I'm safe on the GH5, at least at the current price.

Dave Jenkins said...

Surprise, surprise, supriiiiise! (As some TV character used to say.)

Anonymous said...

Prediction: Sony A9 within a month. :-)

Rich said...

definitely looking forward to your entertaining & enlightening commentaries on the GH5. Reading your stuff = awesome fun, Kirk

Craig Yuill said...

Well, I am not entirely surprised by this post. But, given the high praise that you have given to the Sony RX10 line and Panasonic FZ2500 for video and stills work, this purchase baffles me a bit. I look forward to reading your rationale.

Wally said...

Gotta Have it, gotta have it, gotta have it....

crsantin said...

Any more rationalizations Kirk and you'll end up in politics. Governor Tuck.

ODL Designs said...

I would love to see a comparison with the Sony and the superzoom if you feel like making a quick video. Especially for color.

Looking forward to reading your write ups!

MO said...

now u can look into a speedbooster ;)

mikepeters said...

When I got my G85's in the fall I was very surprised that the video and still files exceeded what my GH4's produced. Now, after a few weeks with my GH5's I'm equally impressed with the stills capabilities of the GH5, and especially the user interface. I haven't yet done any serious video work with it, but I will in a week or so. I'll probably just set it up as I do the G85's with a tweaked natural profile and see what 10 bit can do for me.

A most significant upgrade is the viewfinder, so smooth, so sharp, and the contrast and color is so much more natural looking than anything else I've looked through. Only the Fuji GFX viewfinder looks as good. There are a lot of little things about the GH5 that are improved and which add up to making it a much better tool for making stills and videos.

Mike said...

I may have to stop reading. I'm afraid you're going to get me all worked up over this camera and I'll rush out and make a purchase. Not that I'm not already at the edge of that diving board.

Actually, I'm probably going to read every word. I'm really curious about the GH5 as well as the OM-D E-M1.2. My bad back is especially interested for long still shooting days, and I may have a client that could be interested in the video files it produces.

Where does it end?

Michael Matthews said...

Keeps you young. Along with the swimming.

Greg Heins said...

With the arrival of the new fiscal year, we're acquiring one GH5 and Ninja Flame, so we'll be reading your observations with great interest.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Will look forward to your review.

Ken said...

I suppose as a business owner you really only need to get enough ROI to rationalize giving in to the siren song of new equipment purchases. Things have obviously changed quite a bit in the almost 2 years since you turned my question into a separate post: https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2015/08/reader-ken-helps-me-open-new-bag-of.html#more